3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 pound apples (about 3 large)
1-2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
85 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs milk
1/3 cup raisins/dried cranberries
1) Preheat oven to 350 dF (180 dC) and place rack in the center of oven. Butter or spray with a non stick cooking spray, an 8 inch (20 cm) square baking pan and then line with parchment paper.
2) Place nuts on baking sheet and bake for ~8-10 mins or until lightly brown and fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool.
3) Peel, core, and chop apples into bite-sized pieces. Toss with 1-2 tbs of lemon juice.
4) In the bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Add melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk and beat until fully incorporated. Fold in chopped nuts, raisins/dried cranberries, and chopped apples.
5) Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Smooth the top. Bake for ~35-45 mins or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve. (Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Reheat before serving.)