Makes 4 servings
1 pound ground pork
1 large stalk scallion, finely chopped
6 large water chestnuts, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbs shaoxing wine
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbs soy sauce
1 (~2 1/2 pound) head Napa cabbage
8 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2/3 cup canola oil
1 cup water
1 tbs cornstarch
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1) Mix pork, scallion, water chestnuts, shaoxing wine, sesame oil, sugar, 1 tbs ginger and 1 tbs soy sauce in a large bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
2) Remove and reserve 4 large cabbage leaves. Halves cabbage lengthwise, cut out and discard core. Cut cabbage crosswise into 2-inches wide pieces.
3) Heat 2 tbs oil in pan over high heat. Add mushrooms, cabbage and remaining 1 tbs ginger. Stir-fry until cabbage begins to wilt, ~3 mins. Add 1 cup water and stir-fry until cabbage has wilted, ~3 mins. Transfer cabbage to a pot, arranging it evenly.
4) Stir together cornstarch, pepper and remaining 1 tbs of soy sauce in a small bowl.
5) Divide pork mixture into quarters. Coat hands with the cornstarch mixture and form 4 large meatballs.
6) Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and fry until deep golden on all sides (~5 mins). Drain on paper towels. Add meatballs on top of cabbage in the pot. Add broth and then cover meatballs completely with reserved cabbage leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered for ~1 hour. Serve.