Makes 4 servings
For marinating chicken:
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup ginger, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup Shaoxing wine
1 1/2 pound chicken pieces
For cooking chicken and sauce:
1 tbs oil
2 tsp salt, divided
1/8 cup ginger, peeled and finely julienned
1/2 cup Shaoxing wine
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup + 1 tbs water, divided
2 tsp sugar
1 tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tbs cornstarch
150 g roasted chestnuts
6 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
1) Marinate chicken with the marinade in the refrigerator overnight.
2) Remove chicken and pat dry with paper towel. Discard marinade.
3) Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt. Add chicken, skin side down first and brown it (~3 mins per side). Transfer to pot, skin side up.
4) Pour off all but 1/2 tbs of oil from skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add ginger and saute for ~1 min. Add shaoxing wine and boil ~5 mins. Add broth, 1 1/2 cup water, sugar, soy sauce, white pepper and remaining 1 tsp of salt. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
5) Combine cornstarch with 1 tbs water and whisk into sauce. Boil for 1 min.
6) Pour sauce into pot. Add chestnuts and mushrooms. Gently simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, ~15-25 mins. Serve.