Makes 4 servings
3 pounds chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed, cut into bite-size
100 g starch noodles, soaked in cold water and then drained
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 Oyster sauce
1/4 cup rice syrup (or corn syrup or honey)
1 tbs dark brown sugar
2 tbs Vegetable oil
2 dried red peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch thick chunks
1 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch thick
1 onion, sliced
2 green chili peppers, chopped
1 red chili peppers, chopped
1 cucumber, sliced
6 stalks green onions, cut into 2 inch long
1 cup white mushrooms, halved
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbs sesame oil
1) For the sauce: Combine light soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice syrup (or corn syrup or honey), and dark brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
2) Heat up oil in a shallow skillet. Add dried red pepper to the heated oil and stir-fry for 10-15 secs before taking them out.
3) Add the chicken and stir with a wooden spoon for a few times. Cook with the lid open for about 3-5 mins. Turn the chicken over, give it a quick stir, and cook with the lid open for another 3-5 mins.
4) Add minced garlic and ginger and stir it for a minute. Add potato chunks, sauce, and 2½-3 cups of water. Cook for 10 mins over high heat with the lid closed.
5) Open the lid and add carrot and onion and continue cooking for another 10 mins. Keep the lid open.
6) Add starch noodles, sliced red pepper, green chili peppers, white mushrooms, green onions and cucumber. Keep stirring for 7-10 mins over high heat until the braising liquid has thickened and the noodles look translucent.
7) Turn off the heat and add ground pepper and sesame oil. Mix it together. Garnish with some chopped green onions and sesame seeds and serve.